A fun read

I've had Telepocalypse in my blogroll for a while, but I never explained why. Marvin Geddes is a telecom consultant living in Scotland. He's interesting and acerbic and he has the deep pool of skepticism that seems to develop in many people who work closely with wireless operators in the US and Europe.

He also writes extremely well, which makes his weblog a nice mix of information and entertainment. For example, here's his description of the psychology of an operator offering data services:

"Owning a communications network is rather like being the in posession of Tolkien’s Ring. It slowly corrupts and drives mad the keeper. 'I’ll capture your value, all my beautiful bits, preciousssss bits'."


And then there's a little gem that I won't even try to describe. You just have to read it for yourself. Maybe you have to be a parent to fully appreciate it, but it still makes me laugh every time I read it.

0 comments: